Monday, April 6, 2009

Meeting Robby Gordon



I had the chance to meet NASCAR driver Robby Gordon twice and see him another time as well. The first time I met him was in 2007 at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. Somehow I’d gotten separated from the rest of my group and decided to visit his souvenir hauler, not realizing he was signing autographs.

I purchased one of his diecast cars and the lady working there asked if I had a spot in line. When I told her that I hadn’t, she said that it was too late to meet him, but she could put my car in his queue and still have him sign it. I ended up standing there and when he took a five second break to sign a couple of cars, I shouted at him. Yes, I totally shouted at him.

I told him that I just wanted to let him know that I loved him, even if I was too late to meet him. He looked at me, smiled and told me to come on up. I shoved my camera at the first available person, walked to the front of the line and he stood up to lean over the counter and give me a hug. Unfortunately the guy taking the picture missed it.

A month or so later I was in Michigan where he was signing autographs at Menard’s. I calmly waited in line until it was my turn and told him the story of the Brickyard, ending with the fact that the camera didn’t capture that moment. He then went off on a long (or what seemed long) story about how you have to hold the button down, wait for the flash and then make sure it took a picture. Just then my camera flashed and he said, “see? Now you know that picture took”. It was very cute in a strange way.

The odd thing was that during that driver appearance, he was chewing gum quite loudly. I’m surprised you can’t see it in my picture. Another time we saw him at a Menard’s for an autograph signing and there was literally no one in line. I wish we’d taken pictures of him because he was kicked back in his chair, looking like he was just hanging out at home.

Robby Gordon probably isn’t the best driver to meet, but he’s certainly not the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment